Before arrival

Visas and residence permits

Citizens of the EU and Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland do not need a visa to enter the country; however, if they stay for longer than 30 days, they have to register with the Foreign Police. If they are staying for longer than 3 months, they can apply for a residence permit.

Citizens of other countries have to apply for a visa before entering the Czech Republic. The steps citizens from a third country (i.e., those who are not citizens of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland) must take prior to arrival vary according to their planned length of stay:

We recommend contacting the national point for international resarches – EURAXESS, with whom the fakulty cooperates.

Health insurance

Before arriving in the Czech Republic, you must take out travel insurance with a commercial insurer to cover the period from your arrival to the beginning of your employment (at least two to three weeks).

Once you have an employment contract, your health insurance will be paid for by a deduction from your salary.

We recommend contacting the national point for international researchers – EURAXESS or Staff Welcome Centre UK for more details about health insurance or if you have further questions.

Diploma recognition

Recognition of education in the Czech Republic is one of the key issues that almost every foreigner encounters. The so-called nostrification is needed not only for further studies but also for work.

In accordance with existing international treaties, university degrees from Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, and Slovenia do not require formal recognition (they are considered equivalent to Czech documents).

Information on the procedure for recognising international tertiary education at Charles University is available here.